Pacifica’s culinary team prevailed in the Boyd’s Coffee Culinary Cup with a menu that included crab cakes with remoulade sauce and apple slaw; macadamia topped mahi mahi with coconut rice, mango kiwi salsa, asparagus and a citrus sauce; and a dark chocolate mousse with raspberry white chocolate pastry cream in a chocolate dome with a raspberry coulis.
Management students from La Quinta took home the BJ’s Restaurants Management Cup for the second consecutive year with their restaurant concept, which was inspired by Northern Italy and features an elegant banquet hall.
The first-place teams won scholarships and will be sponsored by the Cheesecake Factory Oscar and Evelyn Overton Charitable Foundation to compete in the 2013 National ProStart Invitational in Baltimore, Maryland next month.
In the culinary competition, Greenville High School of Greenville won second place and Pleasant Valley High School of Chico earned third place. In the management event, San Diego Education Complex earned second place and John A. Rowland High School of Rowland Heights came in third place. Second- and third-place teams also earned scholarships to several culinary and hospitality higher-education programs.
In addition, scholarships and grants totaling $12,000 and provided by the BJ’s Restaurants Foundation were presented at the event to several students, instructors and schools, including:
- culinary student Jenny Tung of Rowland High School
- management student Joshua Carelli of Rowland High School
- culinary instructor Laurie Brandler of Bonita High School
- management instructor Brian Murphy of San Diego Education Complex
- culinary ProStart programs at Rialto and Enterprise high schools
- management ProStart programs at San Diego Education Complex and Bonita High.